Thursday, July 9, 2015

InfoComm 2015 recap


InfoComm 2015 has come and gone, so I figured I would write up a quick recap of some items that made my "oh, that's cool" list as I wandered the aisles of the show floor.  I'm in agreement that the show was really worthwhile to attend, but there just wasn't anything groundbreaking that blew me away.

Here's my quick list, since I'm sure you've all read plenty of lengthy InfoComm Show recap articles already:

  • AMX (Harman) purchased SVSi:  This was by far the biggest news from the show, in my opinion.  If you're not familiar with SVSi, spend some time on their website and learn about their video over IP technology.  It's all routed through typical layer 3 network switches.  Combining their video over IP technology with AMX's products will really be interesting to watch in the future.  
  • WePresent WiPG-2000:  Every wireless presentation device out there has its pros and cons, but now that WePresent has licensed AirPlay, this device is pretty handy for standard classroom wireless display of tablets and laptops.  You don't have to spend money on collaboration features that you won't need in a classroom anyway.  This is the company that Crestron purchased the AirMedia from, by WePresent has done a nice job of updating their features.
  • Middle Atlantic furniture:  They've been making lecterns and credenzas for a while, but this show was my first chance to get my hands on them for a demo.  The lecterns are very solidly built, with great technical features geared toward the integrators.  I stressed the need for an adjustable ADA compliant lectern, and their rep said he's heard the same request "50 times" during the show.
  • Extron DTP CrossPoint 108 4K:  They obviously weren't at the InfoComm Show, but I did also attend the UB Tech Show and saw this new switcher in Extron's booth.  
  • FSR & Middle Atlantic ceiling tile boxes:  One of my missions this year was to hunt down products that allow me to hide a Crestron DM scaler (the 4K version is a big boy) and a power outlet in the ceiling above a projector.
  • Crestron Fusion Cloud Edition:  They're (finally) offering a could-based service for Fusion, so clients don't have to stand-up and maintain their own server.
  • Crestron and Dante:  In the beginning of 2014 Crestron announced that they were licensing Dante, and now they're finally starting to incorporate it into some of their DM switcher cards.  With both Extron and Crestron on-board, I think that's a big win for Dante.
  • Crestron .AV Framework:  During the Crestron colsultant's lunch, they announced that they'll soon be re-releasing their pre-programmed touch screen user interface with improved graphics.  A quick screen shot from them showed a much cleaner looking interface, compared to what they're already including with the DMPS3-4K-150-C.
  • Crestron Studio:  A big surprise for me was that Crestron Studio is still alive and they hired someone new to revive it and start pumping out updates.  I thought they had just let it die a slow and quiet death, but I guess not!
  • Audio-Technica System 10 Pro:  A relatively inexpensive wireless mic receiver that allows for remote antenna mounting up to 300 feet away using Cat5 cable.
  • Middle Atlantic Lever Lock System:  This has been around for a couple of years, but they have some real nice solutions to help you properly install all those small boxes (scalers, Cat6 extenders, media players, power supplies, etc.) inside equipment racks.


No comments:

Post a Comment